9 am – 4 pm
The NHCC will present the first annual NHCC Children’s Bilingual Book Festival in partnership with National día de los libros/Children’s Day/Book Day; Artful Life; Bookworks; Native Realities; the UNM Latin American and Iberian Institute, ABQ Reads, Albuquerque Public Schools, and the University of New Mexico Press.
This one-day festival will celebrate children’s books (K-8) written in Spanish and English and Native languages and English. The focus on bilingual books and authors makes this festival particularly meaningful and vibrant, reflecting the identities of many children in New Mexico and the Southwest. We want to encourage children to see themselves in contemporary children’s literature as well as introduce a bilingual body of work to a wider audience.
The festival will also launch a summer reading program for children struggling to read. Twenty scholarships will be given to children who live within walking (or cycling) distance from the NHCC. Each will be given $100 in books, a festival poster and swag, and s/he will be matched with a summer reading tutor who will keep him/her reading over the summer, including regular reading sessions at the NHCC.
The one-day festival will include:
- Half-hour “Read to Me” events featuring Native and Latinx authors reading to children and families, including a special Arbor Day tree book reading
- A keynote reading and Q & A with children’s author Pat Mora
- An author and exhibitor book emporium (book and book-related sales)Teachers workshop
- Parents workshop
- Registration with summer reading tutors for scholarship children
- Drop-in art, book-making, and other creative activities
- Food, music, and more
Suggested Donation: $5 per family
Vendors, apply for the book emporium here.
More info coming soon!